Re: Importing Postgres 7.1.1 DBs into Postgres 7.3.2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Importing Postgres 7.1.1 DBs into Postgres 7.3.2
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Adam Bultman <adamb@iconideas.com> writes:
> A few weeks ago, I posted regarding some odd errors in postgresql.
> Since then, a few things have been happening, which my coworker and I
> have been discussing.

Have you run hardware diagnostics lately?  More and more often, when
we see reports like this, bad RAM or bad disk cables or something like
that proves to be the cause.  PG itself is not prone to gradually
corrupt data.

Once you've stabilized your hardware, a PG update would be a good thing
to think about; but it's not going to solve hardware problems.

As for identifying schema compatibility problems, two suggestions:
1. Make a schema-only dump first, and find out what you have to correct
by loading that.  Transfer the data separately.
2. Use 7.3's pg_dump against the older server to make the dump file.
It can take care of some of the simpler compatibility issues for you.