Re: Coding TODO for 8.4: Synch Rep

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Coding TODO for 8.4: Synch Rep
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 14:27 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> I'd like to clarify the coding TODO of Synch Rep for 8.4. If indispensable
> TODO item is not listed, please feel free to let me know.

> Since there are many TODO items, I'm worried about the deadline.
> When is the deadline of this commit fest? December 31st? first half
> of January? ...etc?

I think we're in a difficult position. The changes I've requested are
major architecture changes, not that difficult to implement. I would
have to say *not* doing them leaves us in a situation with a fairly
awful architecture and it really doesn't make sense to sacrifice long
term design for a few weeks.

I don't think the review or scale of change is any different to other
major patches in recent times. If people want to spend time discussing
the points again, we can. Changes always seem like heavy lifting, but
there's nothing I've asked for that is difficult, it's all
straightforward stuff.

In all honesty, I didn't think you were going to make the deadline. But
you did, though with significantly reduced discussion on the key issues.
That's definitely not a problem with me, sure we're a few weeks behind
where we wanted to be, but that's nothing when you look at what we're
dealing with and what we will gain.

> 1. replication_timeout_action (GUC)
>
> This is new GUC to specify the reaction to replication_timeout. In the
> latest patch, the user cannot configure the reaction, and the primary
> always continue processing after the timeout occurs. In the next, the
> user can choose the reaction:
>
> - standalone
>   When the backend waits for replication much longer than the
>   specified time (replication_timeout), that is, the timeout occurs, the
>   backend sends replication_timeout interrupt to walsender. Then,
>   walsender closes the connection to the standby, wake all waiting
>   backends and exits. All the processing go on the standalone
>   primary.
>
> - down
>   When the timeout occurs, walsender signals SIGQUIT to
>   postmaster instead of waking all backends, then the primary shuts
>   down immediately.

I'd put this as a much lower priority than other changes. It might still
be required, but lets get it out there as soon as possible and see. If
that means we have to punt on it entirely, so be it.

> 2. log_min_duration_replication (GUC)
>
> If the backend waits much longer than log_min_duration_replication,
> the warning log message is produced like log_min_duration_xxx.
> Unit is not percent against the timeout but msec because "msec" is
> more convenient.

Yes, but low priority.

> 3. recovery.conf
>
> I need  to change the recovery.conf patch to work with EXEC_BACKEND.
> Someone advised locally me to move the options of replication to
> postgresql.conf for convenient. That is, in order to start replication,
> all the configuration files the user has to care is postgresql.conf.
> Which do you think is best?
>
> The options which I'm going to use for replication are the following.
>
> - host of the primary (new)
> - port of the primary (new)
> - username to connect to the primary (new)
> - restore_command

Why not just have walreceiver explicitly read recovery.conf? That's what
Startup process does. (It's only those two processes, right?)

Reworking everything in the way described above would take ages and
introduce lots of bugs.

> 4. sleeping
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00438.php
>
> I'm looking for the better idea. How should we resolve that problem?
> Only reduce the timeout of pq_wait to 100ms? Get rid of
> SA_RESTART only during pq_wait as follows?
>
>    remove SA_RESTART
>    pq_wait()
>    add SA_RESTART

Not sure, will consider. Ask others as well.

> 5. Extend archive_mode
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00718.php

Yes, definitely.

> 6. Continuous recovery without pg_standby
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00296.php

Yes, definitely.

> 7. Switch modes on the standby
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00503.php

This is a consequence of 5 and 6, not an additional feature. It's part
of the same thing. So yes, definitely.

> 8. Define new trigger to promote the standby
>
> In the latest patch, since the standby always recover with pg_standby,
> the standby is promoted by only the trigger file of pg_standby. But, the
> architecture should be changed as indicated #6, 7. We need to define
> new trigger to promote the standby to the primary. I have two ideas:
>
> - Trigger based on file
>   Like pg_standby, startup process also check whether the trigger file
>   exists periodically. The path of trigger file is specified in recovery.conf.
>   The advantage of this idea is that one trigger file can promote the
>   standby easily whether it's in FLS or SLS mode.
>
> - Trigger based on signal
>   If postmaster received SIGTERM during recovery, the standby stops
>   walreceiver, completes recovery and becomes the primary. In current
>   HEAD, SIGTERM (Smart Shutdown) during recovery is not used yet.
>
> Which idea is better? Or, do you have any other better idea?
>
> In my design, trigger is always required to promote the standby. I mean,
> the standby is not permitted to complete recovery and become the
> primary without trigger. Even if the standby finds the corruption of WAL
> record, it waits for trigger before ending recovery. This is because
> postgres cannot make a correct decision whether to end recovery,
> and wrong decision might cause split brain and undesirable increment
> of timeline. Is this design OK?

We don't need this change now because of (7). We aren't using pg_standby
except for the initial stage so its much less important to do this for
failover. So low priority, if at all.

> 9. New synchronous option on the standby
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg01160.php
>

> Pending now. These features are indispensable for 8.4?

Given comments, yes.

I don't see that as hard. Is there a problem in implementation? This
seems the easiest thing to implement, just sneak in an fsync().

> 10. Hang all connections everything is setup for "sync rep"
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00868.php

IMHO don't really think we can do this sensibly until we can support
multiple standby nodes. If we did this it would imply that if the
standby was down then we should stop processing transactions, which is
just a recipe for low availability, not high availability.

ISTM we should offer a simple boolean function which says whether
streaming replication is connected or not. If people want to defer
connection until replication is connected then they can create a more
complex startup script, just as they do to ensure correct sequence of
all the required services already.

Сообщение: Re: Preventing index scans for non-recoverable index AMs
Сообщение: Re: Preventing index scans for non-recoverable index AMs