Re: Preventing index scans for non-recoverable index AMs

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Preventing index scans for non-recoverable index AMs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 18:01 -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > We don't yet have a mechanism for an
> > index AM to say "damn, this index is screwed up, don't use it".
> >

> mark pg_index.indisvalid and/or pg_index.indisready to false in the
> hot standby node?

We can't edit the database until recovery is over, so that doesn't help
us while in recovery mode. So not an option.

It doesn't help us after recovery mode either because there is no
infrastructure (yet) for an index AM's rmgr to exact a transaction after
completion of recovery. So yes, that is the way it will be done, but
there is a non-trivial effort to allow it to happen.