Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 14:07 +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:

> Speaking of a "synchronous commit"
> is utterly misleading, because the commit itself is exactly the thing
> that's *not* synchronous.

Not really sure where you're going here. "synchronous replication" is
used exactly as described in the Wikipedia entry here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_replication

No two word phrase is going to accurately sum up the complexity and
potential for data loss in these situations. DRBD saw that too and just
called them A, B and C and then describe them more accurately.

But I don't think we should say "PostgreSQL just implemented algorithm
B" which is just unhelpful. I don't think its "marketing" to refer to it
by the phrase most commonly used for the technology we are building.
Nobody suggested we call it "wizrep" or suchlike...

The docs can contain the exact description of data loss and timing
windows.