Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 00:00 +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fujii Masao wrote:
> > I'd like to define the meaning of "synch rep" again. "synch rep" means:
> >
> > (1) Transaction commit waits for WAL records to be replicated to the standby
> >       before the command returns a "success" indication to the client.
> >
> > (2) The standby has (can read) all WAL files indispensable for recovery.
>
> Let me point out that - very much like the original Postgres-R algorithm
> - this guarantees committed transactions to be durable and consistent
> (no late aborts of conflicting transactions), but it does not guarantee
> that a transaction committed on one node is immediately visible on the
> other node. In that sense, it is not synchronous as commonly understood,
> because it does not "operate with all their parts in synchrony" [1], as
> implied by the term "synchronous". This might (and often has in the
> past) lead to confusion.

You're right that neither the data transfer nor data availability is
entirely synchronous, but data transfer is synchronous at time of
*commit*: it is recorded on multiple nodes at the same time.

The term "synchronous replication" is already well used in the industry
to mean synchronous commit, so I don't think we should change the name
now. The project here is also known to everybody as "synch rep".

* Oracle Data Guard calls it "synchronous redo transport"
* MS Exchange calls it "synchronous replication"
* MS SQL Server has "Database Mirroring", "Log Shipping" and
"Replication". "Database Mirroring" provides synchronous mechanism, with
"Replication" meaning data transfer to other databases,
publish&subscribe.
* DB2 HADR provides "synchronous replication"
* MySQL call it "synchronous replication"

What is confusing is that "replication" itself is a much abused term and
is used to describe technologies for HA, DR and data movement.