Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]
Дата
Список pgsql-www
> "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:

> > We have done so for years. The origin of each third party distro is
> > clearly marked.
>
> Well, I'm still desperately unhappy with the concept that all it takes
> to get listed on that page is a request from someone who's not even
> known in the community.  At the *minimum* we should have some kind of
> commitment to push updates promptly (especially security ones) ...
> which probably means someone from that group joining pgsql-packagers.

I am not sure this is even relevant honestly. Its a portal page just as
google is a portal page. The ability for a project/company/person to
maintain the software they have listed is up to them not us.

Now (and we have done this in the past) if there becomes a specific
problem, say someone still pushing an 8.0 release of PostgreSQL via xyz
then yeah, we remove it when it is brought to our attention.

The exception here of course is if we deem that, that page must be
software from the .Org community. I would note that there is a large
contingent of the community that will jump up and down very loudly that
we should be aggressively embracing "all" of postgresql not just
PostgreSQL.org.

> But what might be more to the point is that AFAICT Turnkey is a Linux
> distro.

Actually it is billed as an appliance not unlike the PostgreSQL Plus
stuff from EDB except that the EDB stuff does not come prepackaged with
an OS. (meaning ease of use, install, pre-configuration etc...)

>   We don't have links here to where you get Postgres packages for
> Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, etc etc.  Why should there be
> one for Turnkey?

See above.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL
Company,serving since 1997

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]
Сообщение: Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]