Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 17:55 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> Yeah, it's my imagination about the real situation after 8.4 release,
> especially I considered about the future conjugal life of Synch Rep and
> Hot Standby ;) Waiting to redo until the file fills might lead to marital
> breakdown.

You're obviously working with some comedians now. ;-)

> > Could we start with pictures and some descriptions first, so we know
> > we're on the right track? I foresee no coding issues.
> >
> > My understanding is that we start with a normal log shipping
> > architecture, then we switch into continuous recovery mode. So we do use
> > pg_standby at beginning, but then it gets turned off.
>
> Yes, I also understand so. Updated sequence pictures are on wiki
> as per usual. Please see P3, 4.
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NTT%27s_Development_Projects#Detailed_Design

p.6 looks good.

But what is p.7? It's even more complex than the original. Forgive me,
but I don't understand that. Can you explain?

What is the procedure if the standby shuts down, for example if we wish
to restart server to change a parameter? Or to reboot the system it is
on. Does the primary switch back to writing files to archive?