Re: PGSQL on shared hosting

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PGSQL on shared hosting
Дата
Re: PGSQL on shared hosting  (Erick Papadakis <erick_papadakis@yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Holger Klawitter <lists@klawitter.de> writes:
>> No. The "make install" step requires a root access.

> Wrong! If you install into a writeable directory e.g.
>   ./configure --prefix=/home/user/postgres
> make install will work just fine (or at least it did with me).

> The only problem is that you cannot start postgres automatially that
> easily at boot time.

Correct.  AFAIK, you have to be root to set up any init-script action.

You can easily build, install, and run PG in a personal directory
(I do that all the time for testing purposes) but you couldn't really
use it as a full-time server because it'd need to be manually restarted
after any system reboot.