Re: Upgrading Postgres question

От Joao Ferreira gmail
Тема Re: Upgrading Postgres question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 15:08 -0600, Tony Fernandez wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I am in the process of updating my DB on Postgres 8.1.11 to 8.3.4.  I
> also use Slony 1.2.14 for replication.
>

> Is there a safe path on how to accomplish this, please advice on what
> steps I will need to consider.  Bear in mind that I am planning to
> skip from Postgres 8.1.x to 8.3.x and I use Slony to replicate my
> production DB into two more boxes simultaneously.

I don't know about slony....

but, one way to do this is by (roughly):

a) dump all contents of your pg with pg_dumpall

b) install pg8.3 in a test server

c) restore the dump into the test server (su postgres; psql -f my_dump);

d) if all went well you can purge the 8.1 database from the disc or u
can skip to the next step and install the new db in some alternative
directory, in case you need to revert to pg8.1 latter.

e) install 8.3 on the main server (maybe you will have to use initdb)

f) restore the dump into the new 8.3 in the production server.

This is how I do it :) Hope it fits your needs

I also noticed some SQL parsing changes (like the need to explicitlly
cast from text to numeric)...

you shold try all your apps running against the test server before
purging the old db

the mais issue here is that, from 8.1 to 8.3 the underlying database
files have changed format... so u need the dump/restore.

u shld rd this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-upgrading.html

Joao