Re: [WIP] In-place upgrade

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: [WIP] In-place upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> > I think that's pretty seriously un-desirable. It's not at all
> > uncommon for databases to stick around for a very long time and then
> > jump ahead many versions. I don't think we want to tell people they
> > can't do that.
>
> Of course they can do that --- they just have to do it one version at a
> time.
>
> I think it's time for people to stop asking for the moon and realize
> that if we don't constrain this feature pretty darn tightly, we will
> have *nothing at all* for 8.4.  Again.

Gotta go with Tom on this one. The idea that we would somehow upgrade
from 8.1 to 8.4 is silly. Yes it will be unfortunate for those running
8.1 but keeping track of multi version like that is going to be entirely
too expensive.

At some point it won't matter but right now it really does.

Joshua D. Drake