Re: Reducing some DDL Locks to ShareLock

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Reducing some DDL Locks to ShareLock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 11:24 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > (That in itself is painful, surely DDL should fail if
> > it sees another DDL statement in progress trying to do same thing).
>
> Surely not. The other transaction doing the DDL might roll back.

Maybe so, but trying to create a duplicate object in the first place is
also fairly questionable. Why would anybody be doing that and it *not*
be an error? Of potentially a more serious kind. I'd rather have it fail
with a sensible error message so I can work out what to do about that,
rather than wait for hours and then have it fail anyway.