Many postmasters...

От Jean-Christophe Boggio
Тема Many postmasters...
Дата
Re: Many postmasters...  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi everyone,

Using Linux RH7.0 with correct gcc and glibc, PG7.03, Apache 1.3.14
and PHP4. We have several unresolved questions :

* Is it normal that
  ps aux |grep postgres
  shows (what we want : processes own by postgres) multiple postgres
  backends (which seems normal to me) *AND* multiple postmaster (same
  full cmd line).
  Sometimes we also have "defunct" postgresses.

* we start postgres with a /etc/rc.d/init.d script that launches
  pg_ctl -w <many options here> start
  When invoked from the shell, this command never returns to the shell
  by itself, we have to press <enter>. This behaviour prevents the
  script for terminating properly. Is there a way around this ?
  Not tried echo | pg_ctl .... yet

* every backend created by an Apache session opens many files (in our
  case, about 80 including the indexes) and many backends will finally
  generate an "Too many files open" message. We first increased the
  /proc/sys/fs/file-max to 8192 but that's a lot !

  The apache/php server always uses the same connect parameters for
  every page but it seems php's pg_pconnect() behaves just like
  pg_connect. Shouldn't we have apache hold a few backends connected ?

Thanks for you attention and help.

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio
cat@thefreecat.org