Re: PostgreSQL 9.0

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 9.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42@gmail.com> writes:
> My point is, its not about throwing money at a problem.  PostgreSQL
> seems to be having right people at the right place and benefits from
> it. They do the hard work, they do it well, hence 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and
> upcoming 8.3 release.  If you buy these people out, it will take time
> to find and teach new ones.  Writing RDBMS is not dusting crops,
> ya know. ;)))

Buying out a company wouldn't affect dedicated people; they'd find a job
somewhere else and keep right at it.  Companies have disappeared on us
before (Great Bridge, Pervasive) and the project is still here.

I think one significant difference between us and MySQL is that that
project probably *could* be killed by acquiring and shutting down one
company.