Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size
Дата
Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> The remaining difference looks like it's largely caused by the
> enable_timeout_after(IDLE_STATS_UPDATE_TIMEOUT, ...) introduced as part of the
> pgstats patch. It's only really visible when I pin a single connection pgbench
> to the same CPU core as the server (which gives a ~16% boost here).

> It's not the timeout itself - that we amortize nicely (via 09cf1d522). It's
> that enable_timeout_after() does a GetCurrentTimestamp().

> Not sure yet what the best way to fix that is.

Maybe not queue a new timeout if the old one is still active?

BTW, it looks like that patch also falsified this comment
(postgres.c:4478):

         * At most one of these timeouts will be active, so there's no need to
         * worry about combining the timeout.c calls into one.

Maybe fixing that end of things would be a simpler way of buying back
the delta.

> Or we could add a timeout.c API that specifies the timeout?

Don't think that will help: it'd be morally equivalent to
enable_timeout_at(), which also has to do GetCurrentTimestamp().