Re: Working on "SELECT * WHERE numeric_col = 2001.2" problem?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Working on "SELECT * WHERE numeric_col = 2001.2" problem?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Bob Jones" <bjones@autoresourcesinc.com> writes:
> ... an error stating that the '=' operator is unidentified for
> numeric and float8 types.
> After receiving this error, I checked the doc/TODO file and found that
> the deficiency was known...\
> Is this an issue that is to be addressed in later (hopefully in the near
> future?) revisions of pgsql, or is it a relatively low priority?

It's not so much that it's low priority as that a non-hack solution
requires some rather subtle revisions of Postgres' type system, and
there's not yet agreement on how to do that.  (Look through the
pghackers list archives if you want to see the previous discussions.)

Quick-hack solutions include (a) persuading your client program to
put single-quotes around the literal, or (b) defining your own
numeric-vs-float8-equals operator.  AFAIK (b) would not support the
use of indexes on the numeric column, so it's not a very good solution,
but it might do as a stopgap.