[GENERAL] Caching and Blobs in PG? Was: Can PG replace redis, amqp, s3 in thefuture?

От Thomas Güttler
Тема [GENERAL] Caching and Blobs in PG? Was: Can PG replace redis, amqp, s3 in thefuture?
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Caching and Blobs in PG? Was: Can PG replace redis,amqp, s3 in the future?
Список pgsql-general
Am 02.05.2017 um 05:43 schrieb Jeff Janes:
> On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Thomas Güttler <guettliml@thomas-guettler.de <mailto:guettliml@thomas-guettler.de>>
wrote:

>     Is is possible that PostgreSQL will replace these building blocks in the future?
>
>      - redis (Caching)
>

> PostgreSQL has its own caching.  It might not be quite as effective as redis', but you can us it if you are willing
> take those trade offs.

What kind of caching does PG offer?

I would use a table with a mtime-column and delete the content after N days.

>      - rabbitmq (amqp)
>

> PostgreSQL has its own system for this, and other ones can be layered on top of fully transactional tables.
> Again, you can use one or the other, depending on your needs, if you are willing to deal with the trade offs.
>

>      - s3 (Blob storage)
>

> No.  You can certainly use PostgreSQL to store blobs.  But then, you need to store the PostgreSQL data **someplace**.
> If you don't store it in S3, you have to store it somewhere else.

I don't understand what you mean here. AFAIK storing blobs in PG is not recommended since it is not very efficient.

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/