Re: Encoding issues

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Encoding issues
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 11:18 +1200, Oliver Jowett wrote:
> Right. Use 7-bit usernames, passwords, and database names for this
> reason. The handshake protocol does not allow us to get it right if you
> use non-7-bit data here.

But when someone _does_ use non-ASCII database names, etc., shouldn't we
produce some kind of useful error, or at least blindly pass the bytes on
to the server?

Changing those characters into "?"s does not seem like the right
solution. That gives us the worst of both worlds: we don't get a useful
error message, yet it's impossible to connect when, e.g., the database
name contains non-ASCII characters.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis