Re: Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron?

От Adam Tauno Williams
Тема Re: Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Also, based on what I've seen on this list rather than personal
> experience, you might want to give more thought to your storage than to
> CPU power. The usual thrust of advice seems to be: Get a fast, battery
> backed RAID controller. "Fast" does not mean "fast sequential I/O in
> ideal conditions so marketing can print a big number on the box"; you
> need to consider random I/O too. Get lots of fast disks. Get enough RAM
> to ensure that your indexes fit in RAM if possible.
> Note, however, that I have no direct experience with big Pg databases;
> I'm just trying to provide you with a guide of what information to
> provide and what to think about so you can get better answers here from
> people who actually have a clue.

Yep,  we've had PostreSQL databases for a long time.  The various
current generation processors, IMO, have no substantive difference in
practice;  at least not relative to the bang-for-the-buck or more RAM
and good I/O.

Сообщение: Re: Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron?
Сообщение: Re: Quad Xeon or Quad Opteron?