Re: How do I use the backend APIs

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: How do I use the backend APIs
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Chad" <chadzakary@hotmail.com> writes:
> This is exactly what I am looking for. I'm wondering how easy it is to
> sit on top of this backend.

You can't, and you'll get exactly zero community support for trying.
We don't believe in embedded databases --- or at least, we don't
believe in trying to use Postgres as one.  We like a hard-and-fast
separation between client and database server, so that client
programming mistakes can't corrupt the database.

You could possibly do what you are thinking of in the form of
user-defined functions executing in the backend, but the communication
overhead to the client side is likely more than you want, and you'll
be relying on APIs that we consider backend-internal and feel free to
whack around at the drop of a hat.

I'd suggest looking for something that's actually intended to be an
embedded database.  sqlite maybe, though I'm no expert on the subject.
For that matter, have you looked at good old dbm?