Re: What's New

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: What's New
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 11:38 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > We need a way to link to the release notes for the latest production
> > release, so people can easily see What's New.
> >
> > 1. Currently its very hard to locate a description of what the new
> > features in the latest release are. You have to know how the docs are
> > structured to find it easily. If you click on the Home Page's "Notes"
> > link for 8.3.1 you go to the minor release notes for 8.3.1 and there
> > is no obvious link to the notes for 8.3.0 which is where all the main
> > features are described. We don't even say that's how it works, so
> > there's no way of knowing you aren't viewing *all* the info. So if you
> > don't know, and most people don't, 8.3 looks like a minor upgrade from
> > 8.2 only, so why bother.
>
> Good point. But we need some way to include the release notes for the
> minor version as well. Do you have any suggestion for how to do it?
> Adding two different set of notes to the website there will just make
> things even more confusing, I think.

> Perhaps what we need is a section
> in the 8.3.1 release notes that says "this is a minor update. If you
> want to see the release notes between 8.2 and 8.3, please click here"
> with a link to them?

Good idea.

Wording: "This is a minor release. For a full list of features added in
this major release, please click here".

Note that this would be a link between *any* minor release and its
corresponding major release. i.e. 8.3.1, 8.3.2 etc would all point to
8.3

> > 2. There's no permanent URL for What's New in the latest release, so
> > people that put links to us externally need to continually update
> > their links. Google's What's New link points to 8.2 release notes. I
> > could contact them and say "Hey Google, you're wrong" but ISTM the
> > best way is for us to provide a permanent URL that we can then link
> > to from Google and our own home page. Then we only need to ask them
> > to do this once.
>
> This we can do, once we can decide what it should point to per your
> first point.
>
> But can we actually somehow control what google chooses to link to? I
> mean, if they detect our redirect and just link directly to the page it
> points to, we're right back at the same point. Or if they index them as
> separate pages, we'd want to make sure we get the right one.
>
> On the same tack, I've been trying to figure out if there is  away to
> make google prefer the latest version of our docs whe nyou search for
> something. Now you often get hits in 7.4.. Like a way to prioritize it.
> Anybody know if there is a way to do that?

I think: talk to Google. But no point until we have our house in order.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com