Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql

От: Gregory Youngblood
Тема: Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  (Rich, )
 Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  (Craig James, )
 Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  (Craig Ringer, )
  Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  ("Peter Koczan", )
   Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  (Rich, )
    Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  ("Peter Koczan", )
     Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  ("Andrej Ricnik-Bay", )
      Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  (Craig Ringer, )
       Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  ("Andrej Ricnik-Bay", )
        Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  (, )
         Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  (Gregory Stark, )
         Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql  (Gregory Youngblood, )

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 11:04 -0700, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:

> On 18/03/2008, Craig Ringer <> wrote:
>> Isn't a 10 or 24 spindle RAID 5 array awfully likely to encounter a
>>  double disk failure (such as during the load imposed by rebuild onto a
>>  spare) ?

that's why you should use raid6 (allowing for dual failures)

And, if possible, try to use drives from a couple of different batches. I wouldn't go crazy trying to do this, but sometimes a combination of drives from two or three batches can make a difference (though not always).

Also, a very informative read: http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf
In short, best thing to do is watch SMART and be prepared to try and swap a drive out before it fails completely. :)