Re: Insert a default timestamp when nothing given

От Martin Pohl
Тема Re: Insert a default timestamp when nothing given
Дата
Re: Insert a default timestamp when nothing given  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

> > Not directly. I suppose you could create a view that converted the
> > value to the right date on insert.
> I think a trigger might make more sense.

That was a very good idea! I tought it would solve my problem. Unfortunately
it didn't: I still get the "invalid syntax" error (I ensured that the
trigger worked by using other values). Apparently the syntax check is done,
before the trigger is called:
----
create or replace function test() returns trigger as '
begin

    if NEW.datum = '''' THEN
        NEW.datum := ''01.01.1900'';
    end if;
    return NEW;
end;
' language plpgsql;

create trigger test before insert or update on foo
    for each row execute procedure test();
----

Adding a default value will also not work, since the given date is not a
correct timestampz when inserting. So the default value doesn't help.

I know that inserting '' is wrong in the first place, and that Postgre works
correctly at this point. But I can't help it - the application I have to
port does it and I can't change it. Therefore I need a smart workaround for
a sloppy programming in the application and a sloppy MS SQL.
(This is not meant rude in any way, it's just the situation I was given in a
task)

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas?

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More +++