Re: count * performance issue

От Mark Lewis
Тема Re: count * performance issue
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 07:28 -0800, Craig James wrote:
> My question is: What do the other databases do that Postgres can't do, and why not?
>
> Count() on Oracle and MySQL is almost instantaneous, even for very large tables. So why can't Postgres do what they
do?

I can vouch that Oracle can still take linear time to perform a
count(*), at least in some cases.

I have also seen count(*) fast in some cases too... my understanding is
that they maintain a list of "interested transactions" on a per-relation
basis.  Perhaps they do an optimization based on the index size if there
are no pending DML transactions?

-- Mark