Re: Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval()

От Ronan Dunklau
Тема Re: Support for grabbing multiple consecutive values with nextval()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It is Friday here, so I would easily miss something..  It is possible
> to use COPY FROM with a list of columns, so assuming that you could
> use a default expression with nextval() or just a SERIAL column not
> listed in the COPY FROM query to do the job, what do we gain with this
> feature?  In which aspect does the preallocation of a range handled
> on the client side after being allocated in the backend make things
> better?

The problem the author wants to solve is the fact they don't have a way of
returning the ids when using COPY FROM. Pre-allocating them and assigning them
to the individual records before sending them via COPY FROM would solve that
for them.

--
Ronan Dunklau

Сообщение: Re: Building PostgreSQL in external directory is broken?
Сообщение: Re: Building PostgreSQL in external directory is broken?