Re: Postgresql Materialized views

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 09:22 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> So I support Mark Mielke's views on writing code. Anybody who wants to
> code, can. There's probably a project of a size and complexity that's
> right for your first project.

The main problem is that usually that initial thing is not what you
desperately need today... so the motivation will be pretty low unless
you just have loads of time to start off playing with the code.

> Apparently the guy that invented the new
> scheduling algorithms for Linux wasn't even a coder, but he sat down and
> worked it out.

> This is Hackers: Write some code today, everybody. You *can*.

Certainly everybody  can write code, but the barrier to accept it is
pretty high in the postgres community. So you better be a damn good
coder if you expect your code to be accepted... and even then with
considerable fight for justifying the use case for your feature ;-)

This is all good for a stable product, but it really makes the barrier
between simple users and hackers pretty high.

Cheers,
Csaba.