Re: pg_checksums?

От Ron
Тема Re: pg_checksums?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/29/23 04:11, Paul Förster wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
>> On Oct 29, 2023, at 02:43, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:
>> I don't think so. AFAIK Replication keeps the data files in sync on a
>> bit-for-bit level and turning on checksums changes the data layout.
>> Running a cluster where one node has checksums and the other doesn't
>> would result in a complete mess.
> I agree with the last sentence. This is why I asked if it is safe to enable checksums on a replica, switch over and
thendo it again on the ex primary, i.e. now new replica without doing a reinit.

For that to work, the secondary files would have to remain identical to the
primary files.  Theoretically that _should_ happen, but it might not, or
whatever command that enables checksums after the fact might have a sanity
check.

As for safety, what do you mean by "safe"?

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

От: pf@pfortin.com
Сообщение: Re: Disk wait problem... may not be hardware...
От: "Peter J. Holzer"
Сообщение: Re: pg_checksums?