AW: Re: SOMAXCONN (was Re: Solaris source code)

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Тема AW: Re: SOMAXCONN (was Re: Solaris source code)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> When the system is too heavily loaded (however measured), any further
> login attempts will fail.  What I suggested is, instead of the
> postmaster accept()ing the connection, why not leave the connection
> attempt in the queue until we can afford a back end to handle it?

Because the clients would time out ?

> Then, the argument to listen() will determine how many attempts can
> be in the queue before the network stack itself rejects them without
> the postmaster involved.

You cannot change the argument to listen() at runtime, or are you suggesting
to close and reopen the socket when maxbackends is reached ? I think
that would be nonsense.

I liked the idea of min(MaxBackends, PG_SOMAXCONN), since there is no use in
accepting more than your total allowed connections concurrently.

Andreas