AW: AW: AW: AW: Re: tinterval - operator problems on AI X

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Тема AW: AW: AW: AW: Re: tinterval - operator problems on AI X
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > I agree that configure is the way to go.  What if someone has
> > installed a third party library to provide a better mktime() and
> > localtime()?
>
> Exactly.  What if someone has a binary PostgreSQL package installed, then
> updates his time library to something supposedly binary compatible and
> finds out that PostgreSQL still doesn't use the enhanced capabilities?
> Runtime behaviour checks are done at runtime, it's as simple as that.

So, you are suggesting to call mktime after every call to localtime,
just to check whether to output the time in DST before 1970 on all platforms ?
Beleive me, we need a configure check.

Besides, mktime is in libc on AIX and all available versions show the same behavior,
thus I do not think that it is going to change soon. The only way would be to link
with a third party lib, and that would definitely need a new configure run anyway.

This configure is needed to avoid an otherwise necessary
#if defined(_AIX) || defined(__sgi)
If, and only if, you say the above is better then we don't need a configure check.

Andreas