Re: Why is WIN 1250 client only?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Why is WIN 1250 client only?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Why is the encoding WIN 1250 only for the client side?  It seems that
> with the new Windows port, folks will be interested in using it on the
> server side.

I can't see any technical reason why not.  But I find this in
doc/README.mb.jp:

- Never try to set-up server multibyte database encoding to WIN1250, always use LATIN2 instead. There is not WIN1250
localein Unix

It is hard to tell whether the person who added the encoding simply
didn't understand the significance of where he put it in the list,
or whether he did know what he was doing and thought it was a good
idea to forcibly prevent people from using it as a server encoding.

At least on Windows it would clearly be a good idea to allow it as
a server encoding.  Perhaps we can rely on your recently added
encoding checks in initdb to prevent people from making the wrong
choice on platforms that don't support the encoding?