Re: psql in 7.2devel loops

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql in 7.2devel loops
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
John Summerfield <pgtest@ami.com.au> writes:
> It used to be the case that psql could [ read a password from stdin ]
> Now, it writes a password prompt (successfully in my case) and tries to
> read the password (presumably from the tty) which fails.

This was a deliberate change.  I wasn't that happy with it myself,
but I was outvoted.  You're gonna have to find another way; sorry.

I think "expect" was mentioned as one way of feeding passwords to
programs that will only talk to a tty.  On the whole, though, you'd
be better off not embedding passwords in scripts in the first place.
Consider rethinking your PG authorization strategy.  (On Linux,
at least, "ident" now works nicely across Unix sockets.)