Re: "unix_socket_directories" should be GUC_LIST_INPUT?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: "unix_socket_directories" should be GUC_LIST_INPUT?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I'll look again at that in the next couple of days and double-check
> the relevant areas of the code, just in case.  It is Friday afternoon
> here, and I suspect that my mind is missing something obvious.

Indeed.  The patch fails to update pg_dump.c's
variable_is_guc_list_quote(), which exposes the real problem here:
changing an existing variable's GUC_LIST_QUOTE property is an API break.

Getting pg_dump to cope with such a situation would be a research project.
The easy part of it would be to make variable_is_guc_list_quote() be
version-aware; the hard part would be figuring out what to emit so that
SET clauses will load correctly regardless of which PG version they will
be loaded into.

I suspect you're right that this variable should have been marked as a
list to start with, but I'm afraid changing it at this point would be
way more trouble than it's worth.