Re: Performance problems with prepared statements

От Theo Kramer
Тема Re: Performance problems with prepared statements
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 16:04 -0400, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 10/11/07, Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews@supernews.com> wrote:
> > On 2007-10-10, Theo Kramer <theo@flame.co.za> wrote:
> > > When doing a 'manual' prepare and explain analyze I get the following
> > >
> > > rascal=# prepare cq (char(12), smallint, integer) as SELECT oid,
> > > calllog_mainteng, calllog_phase, calllog_self FROM calllog
> > > WHERE calllog_mainteng = $1
> > > AND calllog_phase = $2
> > > AND calllog_self < $3
> > > OR calllog_mainteng = $1
> > > AND calllog_phase < $2
> > > ORDER BY calllog_mainteng DESC,
> > >  calllog_phase DESC,
> > >  calllog_self DESC limit 25;
> > > PREPARE
> >
> > When you do this from the application, are you passing it 3 parameters,
> > or 5?  The plan is clearly taking advantage of the fact that the two
> > occurrences of $1 and $2 are known to be the same value; if your app is
> > using some interface that uses ? placeholders rather than numbered
> > parameters, then the planner will not be able to make this assumption.
> >
> > Also, from the application, is the LIMIT 25 passed as a constant or is that
> > also a parameter?
>
> also, this looks a bit like a drilldown query, which is ordering the
> table on 2+ fields.  if that's the case, row wise comparison is a
> better and faster approach.

Agreed - and having a look into that.

>   is this a converted cobol app?

:) - on the right track - it is a conversion from an isam based package
where I have changed the backed to PostgreSQL. Unfortunately there is
way too much legacy design and application code to change things at a
higher level.

--
Regards
Theo