Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2007-10-10 kell 18:23, kirjutas Magnus Hagander:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 11:47:15AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
> > > IMHO the core operations are already as stable as PostgreSQL use
> > > of MVCC, as the module just exports backend internal state...
> >
> > Well, it exports backend internal state that did not exist before 8.2
> > (ie, XID epoch).  So it doesn't seem all that set in stone to me.
> >
> > > Another thing can can be done is more compact representation for
> > > txid_snapshot type, but that also won't affect core operation.
> >
> > That's another thing that's likely to become very much harder to change
> > once it's in core.  People keep threatening to produce a working
> > in-place-upgrade process, and once that's reality the on-disk
> > representation of core types is going to be hard to change.
>
> Well, if that is a concern, than it's an equally big concern to have it in
> contrib. If people start using it, they're not going to care about us
> saying "hey, it was in contrib, why did you use it", when we earlier said
> "in order do use our whiz-bang stuff, you must install from contrib". We'll
> have complaints that it's too hard to install, but we won't manage to
> escape from the responsibility to keep it working.

I guess Marko will be able to take that responsibility, as he has been
doing for pg_crypto for years, an recently also pl/python to some
degree.

tsearch lived in contrib for quite long, evolving a lot and going
through a big morphing when it moved to core. I can't see anything
nearly as big happening to txid/snapshot types.

Hannu

Сообщение: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Сообщение: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review