Re: Thoughts on multiple simultaneous code page support

От Giles Lean
Тема Re: Thoughts on multiple simultaneous code page support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> 1) Make the entire database Unicode
> It also makes sorting and indexing take more time.

Mentioned in my other email, but what collation order were you
proposing to use?  Binary might be OK for unique keys but that doesn't
help you for '<', '>' etc.

My expectation (not the same as I'd like to see, necessarily, and not
that my opinion counts -- I'm not a developer) would be that each
database have a locale, and that this locale's collation order be used
for indexing, LIKE, '<', '>' etc.  If you want to store data from
multiple human languages using a locale that has Unicode for its
character set would be appropriate/necessary.

Regards,

Giles