Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Hardware upgrade for a high-traffic database
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
"Merlin Moncure" <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> writes:
> The following suggestion works in two principles: one is that instead of
> using timestamps for ordering, integers are quicker,

The difference would be pretty marginal --- especially if you choose to
use bigints instead of ints.  (A timestamp is just a float8 or bigint
under the hood, and is no more expensive to compare than those datatypes.
Timestamps *are* expensive to convert for I/O, but comparison does not
have to do that.)  I wouldn't recommend kluging up your data schema just
for that.