Re: Equivalent praxis to CLUSTERED INDEX?

От Adi Alurkar
Тема Re: Equivalent praxis to CLUSTERED INDEX?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
IIRC it it to reduce the "overflow" of data or what oracle calls
chained rows. i.e if a table has variable length columns and 10 rows
get inserted into a datapage, if this datapage is full and one of the
variable length field gets updated the row will now "overflow" into
another datapage, but if the datapage is created with an appropriate
amount of free space the updated row will be stored in one single
datapage.

On Aug 27, 2004, at 10:27 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> But what is the advantage of non-full pages in Oracle?

> ----
>
> Adi Alurkar wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am not sure if this applies only to clustering but for storage in
>> general,
>>
>> IIRC  Oracle has 2 parameters that can be set at table creation :
>> from Oracle docs
>>
>> PCTFREE integer :
>> Specify the percentage of space in each data block of the table,
>> object
>> table OID index, or partition reserved for future updates to the
>> table's rows. The value of PCTFREE must be a value from 0 to 99. A
>> value of 0 allows the entire block to be filled by inserts of new
>> rows.
>> The default value is 10. This value reserves 10% of each block for
>> updates to existing rows and allows inserts of new rows to fill a
>> maximum of 90% of each block.
>> PCTFREE has the same function in the PARTITION description and in the
>> statements that create and alter clusters, indexes, materialized
>> views,
>> and materialized view logs. The combination of PCTFREE and PCTUSED
>> determines whether new rows will be inserted into existing data blocks
>> or into new blocks.
>>
>> PCTUSED integer
>> Specify the minimum percentage of used space that Oracle maintains for
>> each data block of the table, object table OID index, or
>> index-organized table overflow data segment. A block becomes a
>> candidate for row insertion when its used space falls below PCTUSED.
>> PCTUSED is specified as a positive integer from 0 to 99 and defaults
>> 40.
>> PCTUSED has the same function in the PARTITION description and in the
>> statements that create and alter clusters, materialized views, and
>> materialized view logs.
>> PCTUSED is not a valid table storage characteristic for an
>> index-organized table (ORGANIZATION INDEX).
>> The sum of PCTFREE and PCTUSED must be equal to or less than 100. You
>> can use PCTFREE and PCTUSED together to utilize space within a table
>> more efficiently.
>>
>> PostgreSQL could take some hints from the above.

>>> Means this that an index shall have a "fill factor" property, similar
>>> Informix one ?
>>>
>>> From the manual:
>>>

>>> The FILLFACTOR option takes effect only when you build an index on a
>>> table
>>> that contains more than 5,000 rows and uses more than 100 table
>>> pages,
>>> when
>>> you create an index on a fragmented table, or when you create a
>>> fragmented
>>> index on a nonfragmented table.
>>> Use the FILLFACTOR option to provide for expansion of an index at a
>>> later
>>> date or to create compacted indexes.
>>> When the index is created, the database server initially fills only
> [...]

Сообщение: Re: Equivalent praxis to CLUSTERED INDEX?
Сообщение: Re: Equivalent praxis to CLUSTERED INDEX?