Re: Initdb-time block size specification

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Initdb-time block size specification
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/1/23 01:16, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 04:04:57PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I just got a new server:
>>>
>>>     https://momjian.us/main/blogs/blog/2023.html#June_28_2023
>>>
>>> so tested this on my new M.2 NVME storage device:
>>>
>>>     $ /sys/block/nvme0n1/queue/physical_block_size
>>>     262144
>>
>> Ah, I got the relevant filename wrong. I think it's logical_block_size, not
>> physical one (that's the size of addressing).  I didn't realize because the
>> devices I looked at have the same...
>
> That one reports 512 _bytes_ for me:
>
>     $ cat /sys/block/nvme0n1/queue/logical_block_size
>     512

What does "smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1" say? There should be something like
this:

Supported LBA Sizes (NSID 0x1)
Id Fmt  Data  Metadt  Rel_Perf
 0 -    4096       0         0
 1 +     512       0         0

which says the drive supports 4k and 512B sectors, and is currently
configures to use 512B sectors.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Initdb-time block size specification
Сообщение: Re: Initdb-time block size specification