Re: invalidly encoded strings

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: invalidly encoded strings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 14:50 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 12:29 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > > Please show me concrete examples how I could introduce a
> vulnerability
> > > using this kind of convert() usage.
> >
> > Try the sequence below. Then, try to dump and then reload the
> database.
> > When you try to reload it, you will get an error:
> >
> > ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xbd
>
> I know this could be a problem (like chr() with invalid byte pattern).
> What I really want to know is, read query something like this:
>
> SELECT * FROM japanese_table ORDER BY convert(japanese_text using
> utf8_to_euc_jp);

I guess I don't quite understand the question.

I agree that ORDER BY convert() must be safe in the C locale, because it
just passes the strings to strcmp().

Are you saying that we should not remove convert() until we can support
multiple locales in one database?

If we make convert() operate on bytea and return bytea, as Tom
suggested, would that solve your use case?

Regards,Jeff Davis

Сообщение: Re: invalidly encoded strings
Сообщение: Re: invalidly encoded strings