Re: Statistics collection question

От phoenix.kiula@gmail.com
Тема Re: Statistics collection question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sep 4, 10:54 pm, t...@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) wrote:
> "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix.ki...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Would appreciate any help. Why do indexed queries take so much time?
> > It's a simple DB with "10 relations" including tables and indexes.
> > Simple inserts and updates, about 5000 a day, but non-trivial
> > concurrent selects (about 45 million a day). Works fine when I
> > restart, but a day later all goes cattywumpus.
>
> BTW, just to be perfectly clear: all you do is stop and restart the
> postmaster (using what commands exactly?), and everything is fast again?
> That's sufficiently unheard-of that I want to be entirely sure we
> understood you correctly.

Yes, I noticed starting the postgres database again had an effect of
speed. But this does not seem to be working anymore so I suppose
something else needs fixing.

When I do a "select * from pg_locks", some of them show up as
"Exclusive Lock". This I suppose means that the whole table is locked,
right? How can I find from the "transaction id" which precise SQL
statement is taking this time? I do not have anything that should!
Simple SELECT, INSERT and UPDATE stuff in our fairly straightforward
application, and I hope that autovacuum and auto-analyze do not take
up this exclusive locks?

Ref: output of the select from pg_locks --

=# select * from pg_locks;
-[ RECORD 1 ]-+----------------
locktype      | transactionid
database      |