Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows

От nac1967
Тема Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Aug 4, 3:08 pm, mag...@hagander.net (Magnus Hagander) wrote:
> nac1967 wrote:
> > I am a PostgreSQL user, using the native windows version 8.2. I am new
> > to PostgreSQL and am wondering if other users have suggestions
> > regarding command line interfaces. I cannot for the life of me get
> > readline to work on the Windows version. If you use IPython, for
> > example, readline works fantastically with smart ctrl-P search of
> > previous commands and tab completion. Does anyone know of a way either
> > to get readline to work or another good command line interface?
>
> Readline only works with US keyboard layouts under native windows,
> that's why it's been turned off in the binary builds. You are left with
> the very limited commandline editing in the default windows command shell.
>
> If you are using only US keyboard layout, you can rebuild psql from
> source (using the MingW build system) with readline. You only need to
> rebuild psql - not libpq or the backend itself.
>
> //Magnus

Regarding the faq, I did do a google search site on various
permutations including the word readline but nothing of use turned up.
I assumed that not many people had interest. I think it is a shame as
I find in e.g., Python having the unix like shell capabilities to be a
huge productivity enhancer. Someone replied separately that you can
use just psql via cygwin to achieve the same result and this seems as
if it might be easier. Any thoughts?

Сообщение: Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows
Сообщение: Re: v8.2 ... command line interface on Windows