Re: SQL feature requests

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: SQL feature requests
Дата
Re: SQL feature requests
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I still don't see it as terrifically useful functionality, given that it's
> just saving you 4 keystrokes ...

Less than that, because the AS is optional.  The only argument I've
heard that carries much weight with me is that it eases porting from
other DBMS's that allow this.  Are there any others besides Oracle?

In a quick check, mysql 5.0.45 hews to the straight and narrow path:

mysql> create table t(f1 int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> select * from (select f1 from t) x;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from (select f1 from t) ;
ERROR 1248 (42000): Every derived table must have its own alias
mysql>

so you don't get to point to them as one that we'd improve
compatibility with.