Re: Comments on the HOT design

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Comments on the HOT design
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 11:41 +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> I've done some experimenting on those items, producing several badly
> broken versions of the patch partly implementing those ideas. It looks
> like the patch size will go down from ~240 kB to ~210 kB, and more
> importantly, there will be less new concepts and states a tuple can be
> in and less WAL record types.

I'm not certain Pavan is right, nor am I certain Heikki is, we may find
that both techniques are needed at various times and so we might need
both code paths.

So I think we need ways of measuring the dynamic behaviour of the patch.
A trace_hot parameter, or similar, is needed to produce additional
information. Or something...

We can then go for the simplest version of the patch into beta, with
beta testers posting their trace info back to allow us to evaluate the
more complex options. The quicker we get to beta the better.

--  Simon Riggs EnterpriseDB  http://www.enterprisedb.com