Re: [pgadmin-support] Search feature request

От J.F. Oster
Тема Re: [pgadmin-support] Search feature request
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Thursday, March 6, 2014, 12:38:33 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

GL> On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 07:40 -0600, Michael Shapiro wrote:
>> I know that PgAdmin has the ability to find a pattern in various object
>> names.
>>
>> Can PgAdmin search the actual text of procedures to find a pattern as well.
>>
>> For example, if I have a procedure named get_login, and it has a select
>> that looks like
>>
>>    select person_id from logins ....
>>
>> and I search for "person_id", can PgAdmin find this within the get_login
>> procedure?

GL> Nope, it doesn't work like that. But a patch might help to get it do
GL> that.

Suggested feature will be a must-have for pl-developers to find code
dependencies not maintained by DBMS.

Since searching pg_proc should be optional (right?), it's required to
modify Search Objects dialogue. And since I have some more thoughts
(plans for the future) on improving this tool, some concerning
dialogue design, I'd like to express these now altogether.

1. Make "search for pattern in object's names" one of few options,
enabled by default. Others will be "search in definitions" and "search
in comments". I see these as a number of checkboxes.
Searching in object's definitions may be further advanced by
considering constraint's expressions, column's defaults, type's fields
and so on.

2. In addition to objects Type filter implement Schema filter to cut
off objects in schemas of no interest. This is a combobox with items:
(All Schemas), (Current Schema)*, (User Schemas) plus list of all
schemas in database.

3. Allow to call Search Objects dialogue when any DB-object in Object
Browser is selected, not only DB itself. Object trees are huge
sometimes, so having to select DB item (and loose current object) each
time I wish to search for something makes the tool unattractive at
all. Required to implement (Current Schema) filter.

4. If text pattern contains "%" char then don't add %%'s to it.

5. Use statusbar: "Searching...", "Nothing was found" or "Found N
items".

Devs, please see the sketch attached. Is this OK?
I can work on this when I have time, if no one gets to this earlier.

--
Best regards,
 J.F.