Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies

От Adam Tauno Williams
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 02:32 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> > Generally I agree, however, how about a first switch, for beginner /
> > intermediate / advanced.
>
> You're describing a perfectly reasonable approach for a second generation
> tool in this area.  I think it would be very helpful for the user
> community to get a first generation one that works fairly well before
> getting distracted at all by things like this.  The people capable of
> filling out the intermediate/advanced settings can probably just do a bit
> of reading and figure out most of what they should be doing themselves.

Just as an aside; how come the installation/setup "Tutorial" section -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/tutorial-start.html -
doesn't mention setting some rough reasonable defaults in
postgresql.conf or even a reference to the parameter documentation
section.  It seems like such a reference should exist between -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/tutorial-arch.html - and
- http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/tutorial-accessdb.html

At least something along those lines should be said at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-post.html

Personally, as DBA for more than a decade,  I've got 0 sympathy for
people who setup a database but can't be bothered to read the
documentation.  But in the case of PostgreSQL the documentation could do
a better job of driving users to even the existence [and importance of]
postgresql.conf and routine maintenance techniques.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/runtime-config.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/maintenance.html

Seems to me that even a remake of something like -
http://www.iiug.org/~waiug/old/forum2000/SQLTunning/sld001.htm - focused
on PostgreSQL would be novel and very interesting.

Just my two cents.

PostgreSQL is awesome, BTW.