Re: Reducing NUMERIC size for 8.3

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Reducing NUMERIC size for 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 17:49 +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:

> I wonder if the currently waiting patch isn't Good Enough for
> 999.9999999999999999 % of use cases, and "all" others can use numeric
> instead of numeric(1000,800) or so. Especially since there are many
> patches waiting that do need further investigation and refining.

That still has problems.

Another approach would be to restrict the existing datatype NUMERIC to
508 digits, but introduce a new datatype of LONGNUM which allows
arbitrary length numerics for those that *do* care. It might be more
beneficial in the longer run to separate the use cases so we can further
tune them (not sure how just yet...)

--  Simon Riggs              EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: Reducing NUMERIC size for 8.3
Сообщение: Re: Reducing NUMERIC size for 8.3