Re: pgsql: Create a GUC parametertemp_tablespacesthat allows selection of

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: pgsql: Create a GUC parametertemp_tablespacesthat allows selection of
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > One of the main reasons for the implementation was to allow larger
> > queries to work faster by utilising multiple temp tablespaces for the
> > same query.
>
> > The original ideal implementation was to use round-robin/cyclic
> > selection, which allows much better usage in the above case.
>
> Really?  What if multiple backends are all hitting the same tablespaces
> in the same order?  A random selection seems much less likely to risk
> having any self-synchronizing behavior.

I'd like a single backend to never reuse a temp tablespace that is
actively being used so that large queries won't randomly conflict with
themselves. That's pretty certain to draw complaints, IMHO.

We can do this two ways
- cycle thru temp tablespaces, as originally suggested (not by me...)
- pick a random tablespace **other than ones already in active use**

--
  Simon Riggs