Re: Performance monitoring

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: Performance monitoring
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2007-12-05 at 14:26 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Either way, we are taking the hit, it is just a matter of where. IMO it
> would be better to have the information in the database where it makes
> sense, than pushing out to a log

If performance monitoring information is provided as a database object,
what would the right interface be? IMHO the problem with cleanly
presenting monitoring information within a normal database system is
that this sort of data is fundamentally dynamic and continuous: to
determine how the performance of the system changes over time, you need
to repeatedly rescan the table/view/SRF and recompute your analysis
essentially from scratch. Trying to get even simple information like
"queries per second" from pg_stat_activity is an example of how this can
be painful.

<plug>
BTW, if the system included the concept of a continuous data *stream* as
a kind of database object, this problem would be much more tractable :)
In fact, there is some code in a version of TelegraphCQ that exposes
various information about the runtime state of the system as a set of
system-defined data streams -- like any other stream, users could then
use those streams in arbitrary queries.
</plug>

-Neil