Re: Query performance problems with partitioned tables

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Query performance problems with partitioned tables
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 13:41, Fei Liu wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:

> >> That's a little bit harsh.  The main use of partitioning is not to
> >> make the table faster but to make the maintenance easier.  When
> >> constraint exclusion works well for a particular query you can get a
> >> small boost but many queries will break down in a really negative way.
> >>  So, you are sacrificing flexibility for easier maintenance.  You have
> >> to really be careful how you use it.
> >>
> >> The best case for partitioning is when you can logically divide up
> >> your data so that you really only have to deal with one sliver of it
> >> at a time...for joins and such.  If the OP could force the constraint
> >> exclusion (maybe by hashing the timestamp down to a period and using
> >> that for where clause), his query would be fine.  The problem is it's
> >> not always easy to do that.
> >>

> > Agree++
> >
> > I've been testing partitioning for a zip code lookup thing that was
> > posted here earlier, and I partitioned a 10,000,000 row set into about
> > 400 partitions.  I found that selecting a range of areas defined by x/y
> > coordinates was faster without any indexes.  The same selection with one
> > big table and one big (x,y) index took 3 to 10 seconds typically, same
> > select against the partitions with no indexes took 0.2 to 0.5 seconds.
> >
> > For that particular application, the only way to scale it was with
> > partitioning.
> >
> In my particular case, I have 2 million records uniformly split up in 40
> partitions. It's ranged data varying with time, each partition has one
> month of data. Do you think this is a good candidate to seek performance
> boost with partitioned tables?

That really really really depends on your access patterns.  IF you
typically access them by certain date ranges, then partitioning is
almost always a win.  If you have enough requests that don't select a
range of dates, it might wind up being slow.

There are other advantages to partitioning though, such as ease of
maintenance, being able to do partial backups easily, archiving old
partitions, placing the more active partitions on faster storage.