Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design
Список pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2007-03-21 kell 14:06, kirjutas Merlin Moncure:
> On 3/21/07, Florian G. Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> wrote:
> > Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> > > I didn't understand that quite well. How does it help to run CREATE
> > > INDEX inside a transaction ?
> > The problem is not so much CREATE INDEX per se, but other DDL commands
> > that implicitly create an index, for example adding a PRIMARY KEY to a
> > table.

What I would really like is an official way to promote an UNIQUE index
to Primary Key, so that PK could also be added without locking the table
for long periods.

> > Some applications that I have written would fail badly if CREATE INDEX
> > was disallowed inside a transaction - mostly, because they use plpgsql
> > functions to manipulate database objects, and disallowing CREATE INDEX
> > inside a transaction presumably means disallowing it from inside
> > stored procedures.

we don't have stored procedures :( only functions.

Maybe your problem will be fixed once we get proper stored procedures,
which can begin and commit/rollback transactions inside their code.

> speaking with pavan off list he seems to think that only 'create
> index' is outside transaction, not the other ddl flavors of it because
> they are generally acquiring a excl lock.  so, in that sense it is
> possibly acceptable to me although still a pretty tough pill to
> swallow (thinking, guc time).  It would also preclude ever integrating
> vanilla 'create index' to create table command, fwiw.

I don't think that any of the HOT restrictions apply when creating an
index on an empty table.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me:  callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free:  http://www.skype.com

Сообщение: Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design
Сообщение: Re: CREATE INDEX and HOT - revised design