Re: configuring new server / many slow disks?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: configuring new server / many slow disks?
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 11:39, Axel Rau wrote:
> Am 09.03.2007 um 12:42 schrieb Richard Huxton:
>
> > Axel Rau wrote:
> >> Hi performers,
> >> after following this list for a while, I try to configure a
> >> database server with a limited budget.
> >> Planned are 2 databases
> >> - archiveopteryx -  http://www.archiveopteryx.org/sql-schema.html
> >> - ERDB - https://www.chaos1.de/svn-public/repos/network-tools/ERDB/
> >> trunk/database/ERD.pdf In peak times I expect something like
> >> - 50 inserts
> >> - 20 updates
> >> - 200 selects
> >> per second.
> >
> > Presumably with multiple clients, not just one extremely busy one?
> Multiple clients do mainly selects (the IMAP users), few mailservers
> are busy and do mainly inserts and updates.
> > How big do you expect the databases to get?
> Up to 1 TB. The 1st DB is an IMAP message store, which keeps Mime
> message parts as byteas in one table (bodyparts).

I'd benchmark it to make sure.  20 updates and 50 inserts per second on
simple tables with small amounts of data?  No problem.  Lots of big
bytea / blob data getting inserted and read back out?  Not so sure.

Certainly your BBU RAID controller will help, and lots of slower hard
drives is generally far better than a few faster drives.

The only way to know is to make up a test and see how it performs.